Skip to main content

JavaPosse Episode 160

This is a tracklist of a JavaPosse Episode.
Original shownotes and the audible mp3 can be found here.
More tracklists can be found here.

Interview with Bob Lee about Guice
(Guice is an IoC framework.)

00:30 Intro
00:47 What is Guice?
03:56 What was the reason to start a new framework?
10:23 Have you seen people use it for really small things?
12:51 What's coming up?
22:50 Some things about Google Collections API
23:55 Differences between weak and soft references
26:15 Interesting combinations of strong and weak references in practice
28:18 What are the other things that you think are coming in the future for Google Collections?
30:30 Anything else, goodbye, outro...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Client's transaction aborted

I've met the above error message using a Wicket 1.2 / EJB3 intranet application under Glassfish v2 . Here is the more particular head of the stack trace: javax.ejb.TransactionRolledbackLocalException: Client's transaction aborted at com.sun.ejb.containers.BaseContainer.useClientTx(BaseContainer.java:3394) at com.sun.ejb.containers.BaseContainer.preInvokeTx(BaseContainer.java:3274) at com.sun.ejb.containers.BaseContainer.preInvoke(BaseContainer.java:1244) at com.sun.ejb.containers.EJBLocalObjectInvocationHandler.invoke(EJBLocalObjectInvocationHandler.java:195) at com.sun.ejb.containers.EJBLocalObjectInvocationHandlerDelegate.invoke(EJBLocalObjectInvocationHandlerDelegate.java:127) This exception raised on the integration server sometimes, randomly, for simple page fetch operations. After pressing reload on the browser, the operation was usually successful. I couldn't reproduce the failure on the local machine where I regularly restart the app server and...

Standup

Recently I was asked if it makes sense to do standups. Is it just a formal waste of time? Wouldn't it be more useful to spend the same amount of time by actual work? This is how our standup looks like, this is how the work would look like without it according to me and this is why I think it's worth doing standups: Standup optionally starts with a half-minute long announcement by the Scrum Master if somebody is missing and when will be this person available again. Without standup:  We could check out this information from a well-prepared shared calendar but unexpected lates or illnesses which are missing from the calendar would require a little bit more communication and irrelevant discussion during the day. It would cause some delay for sure. Then we look at the burn-down chart of the sprint and to the status of the latest nightly build. Is it stable, what about automated tests which were run last night? We make a common standpoint in one minute which is clear a...

Installing Firefox Java plugin on Ubuntu Linux for Dummies

As a Windows user, I was amused how not easy to install Java on Ubuntu Linux (10.04) nor installing Java (1.6) plugin into Firefox (3.6). It's not nearly a download-next-next-finish task. Additionally, digging into forums I found a lot outdated solutions which I tried and soon realized that they doubtlessly aren't working. Here is the one which worked for me: First, open a terminal window: Applications menu -> Accessories -> Terminal. Type the followings (you will be promted for admin password, because sudo prefix means you want to do something in the name of the super (or sytem) user): sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner" sudo aptitude update sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jdk Then you have to select things with arrows and pressing enter. Then Timothy says in the forum you have to type this, but I didn't need it: sudo update-alternatives --config java Now you can check if java is installed by typing java -version . ...